Hawaiki Cable Will Stimulate Growth within the South Pacific Capacity Market
AUCKLAND, New Zealand and EATONTOWN, N.J., USA – Monday 17th October 2016 – Another significant milestone has been reached in the deployment of Hawaiki, the 14,000 km transpacific cable system scheduled for completion in mid-2018, as Hawaiki Submarine Cable LP and TE SubCom, a TE Connectivity Ltd. company and an industry pioneer in undersea communications technology, announced that system manufacturing has commenced. Hawaiki will link Australia and New Zealand to the mainland United States, as well as Hawaii, with options to expand to several South Pacific islands.
Hawaiki Cable Updates
- More than 1,000 kilometers of lightweight cable has been manufactured to date for Hawaiki at TE SubCom’s facility in Newington, N.H., USA.
- Manufacturing of Hawaiki repeaters is underway.
- Detailed landing surveys have been completed for sites in Pacific City, Oregon and Kapolei, Hawaii.
- The Hawaiki marine route survey is ongoing, with highlights including:
- Completion of deep sea survey from Oregon to Hawaii
- Survey has covered all of U.S. Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ), with the completion of the branch to American Samoa
- Progress through the South Pacific Islands continues unabated.
- In September 2016, Hawaiki Submarine Cable LP officially submitted for a submarine cable landing license from the U.S. Federal Communications Commission (FCC).
- Demonstrating its commitment to the connectivity of Pacific Islands, Hawaiki has added three additional branching units to enable the future connection of New Caledonia, Fiji and Tonga.
About Hawaiki Cable
- Hawaiki will be the highest cross-sectional capacity link between the U.S. and Australia and New Zealand.
- As a carrier-neutral cable system, Hawaiki will usher in a new era of international connectivity benefitting businesses and consumers across the Pacific region.
- The system was co-developed by New Zealand-based entrepreneurs Sir Eion Edgar, Malcolm Dick and Remi Galasso.
“We’ve seen tremendous progress with Hawaiki in the past several months, with each step bringing us closer to a completed, working system,” said Remi Galasso, CEO of Hawaiki. “We remain on time and on budget, and trust that in conjunction with TE SubCom, Hawaiki will be fully lit by mid-2018, bringing competition and diversity to the market, and vital connectivity to the region.”
“The manufacturing stage of Hawaiki is moving forward precisely as planned and overall progress is only going to gain momentum from here,” said Aaron Stucki, president of TE SubCom. “With manufacturing of cable and repeaters underway, we are right where we should be on our deployment timeline.”
About Hawaiki Submarine Cable LP
Hawaiki Submarine Cable LP, headquartered in Auckland, New Zealand, is the owner and developer of the Hawaiki submarine cable system (Hawaiki). Hawaiki is a carrier-neutral submarine cable linking Australia, New Zealand, Hawaii and Oregon, on the U.S. west coast. For more information, visit www.hawaikicable.co.nz.
About TE SubCom
TE SubCom (SubCom), a TE Connectivity Ltd. company, is an industry pioneer in undersea communications technology and marine services, and a leading global supplier for today’s undersea communications requirements. As a vertically integrated supplier, SubCom designs, manufactures, deploys, and maintains the industry’s most reliable fiber optic cable systems. Its solutions include long-haul and regional systems, repeaterless networks, capacity upgrades, offshore oil and gas, and scientific research applications. SubCom brings end-to-end network knowledge and global experience to support on-time delivery and the needs of customers worldwide. To date, the company has deployed more than 100 cable systems and enough subsea communication cable to circle the globe 15 times at the equator. For more information, visit www.SubCom.com.
About TE Connectivity
TE Connectivity (NYSE: TEL) is a $12 billion global technology leader. Our connectivity and sensor solutions are essential in today’s increasingly connected world. We collaborate with engineers to transform their concepts into creations – redefining what’s possible using intelligent, efficient and high-performing TE products and solutions proven in harsh environments. Our 72,000 people, including over 7,000 engineers, partner with customers in close to 150 countries across a wide range of industries. We believe EVERY CONNECTION COUNTS – www.TE.com.