By Rula Su’a – Vaai
APIA SAMOA – FRIDAY 18 JANUARY 2019: The administration of the MMR1 – Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccination continues on request only at Moto’otua Hospital.
The Minister of Health, Tuitama Dr. Talalelei Tuitama confirmed with Talamua that MMR1 is still on hold and is available only by request and consent of the parents who wish to have their children vaccinated.
“MMR1 is on hold, until investigations by the Court into the two nurses who were accused over the death of two babies in July last year is completed,” said the Minister.
In November 2018 Tuitama told Talamua that the National Health Services Board is concerned about the extended exposure of Samoan infants to measles, mumps and rubella if the vaccine continues to be on hold pending investigations.
“We cannot continue to put a hold the vaccination because if anything happens, it could be very bad for us, especially our children who are vulnerable to these diseases.”
All MMR1 injections were put on hold following the deaths of two year old babies at the Safotu District hospital after receiving their MMR1 injections last July.
Two nurses have been charged as a result and the trial is scheduled later this month.