Longest serving staff member and the longest serving General Manager (1988 – 2014) Mapuilesua Papalii Willie Nansen got the Outstanding Service Award from the wife of the Minister of Health Lanuola Tuitama
Story by Lance Polu: Photos by Gerwin Polu
APIA: MONDAY 2 FEBRUARY 2015: One of the governments’ better performing corporations, Samoa Shipping Corporation has capped off a week long celebrations of its existence and service to Samoa with recognizing the vision, dedication and service of some people who made the company what it is today.
The awards were cited and presented at a Gala Dinner at the Gymnasium 3 at the Tuana’imato Sports Complex last Friday night.
The weeklong celebrations included a Thanksgiving church service at the Immaculate Cathedral at Mulivai on Sunday 25 January, a floats parade in Apia and Savaii and the launch of the vessel SSC40 that flies the company’s 40 years commemoration flag.
Founded 30 December 1974, the company has ground from a single barge bought from the Philippines that served the travel and vehicular services between Upolu and Savaii, to 15 vessels with VIP and air-condition seating for the same route as well as Apia and American Samoa.
Some of the distinguished awards recognized the services of former captain Tofilau Tapua’i Mapu, one of the longest serving staff who is retired but was with the company from day one. The award was accepted by his son who works a captain overseas.
Also recognized is the Minister of Revenue, Tuiloma Pule Lameko who was the first Samoan to be appointed as General Manager in 1977/1978.
The longest serving staff member and the longest serving General Manager (1988 – 2014) Mapuilesua Papalii Willie Nansen got the Outstanding Service Award.
The Awards are as follows:
- His Highness the Head of State TUI ATUA TUPUA TAMASESE EFI – 40th Anniversary Special Award for his dedication and support of Samoa Shipping Corporation
- Prime Minister TUILAEPA LUPESOLI’AI FATIALOFA SAILELE MALIELEGAOI – Excellence in Leadership Award for his vision, guidance and outstanding leadership to improve sea shipping services for Samoa. Also Board Chairman 1983.
- PALEA VA’ALELE FA’AOLOTOI – Outstanding Leadership Award as Chairman of the Board of Directors
- MAPUILESUA PAPALI’I WILLIE NANSEN – Outstanding Leadership Award and longest service General Manager 2002-2014
- LAUMEA MATOLU 11 – First Minister and Chairman 1974-1975
- TOFILAU TAPUA’I MAPU – First Captain and employee 1974-2011
- TUILOMA PULE LAMEKO – First Samoan General Manager 1977-1978
- LETELEMA’ANA GEORGE VAE’AU – Board Chairman 1981-1982. First Public Servant to serve as Board Chairman
- VA’AELUA NOFO VA’AELUA – Longest Serving Board Member 1987-2010
- JICA – Recognition of Service as SSC’s overseas partner in funding SSC’s vessels and technical assistance 1988-2011
- MAPUILESUA PAPALI’I WILLIE NANSEN – Outstanding Service and longest serving employee – 1988-2014